Whether it's monitoring the levels of contaminants, or keeping up to date on your home's refrigerator filters, it takes awareness and consistent maintenance to ensure that your family has the healthiest drinking water.
10 helpful steps are listed below. They will help you conserve water, prevent stormwater runoff and keep the water you do use as clean as possible.
1) Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks and gutters.
2) Never dump anything down storm drains or in streams.
3) Vegetate bare spots in your yard.
4) Compost your yard waste.
5) Use the least toxic pesticides, follow labels, and learn how to prevent pest problems.
6) Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces; consider a rain garden to capture runoff water.
7) Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
8) Check your car for leaks and recycle your motor oil.
9) Pick up after your pet.
10) Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly.