To help with the growing global crisis of access to clean water and toilets students at CalTech are working on The Toilet Of The Future
A few months back Matt Damon, Co-Founder of Water.org, made a publicity video highlighting the need access to clean water and toilets. His humorous video really highlighted this ever increasing issue plaguing the world’s population.
Here are some quick facts about this global crisis:
- The toilet has saved more lives than any other invention in history. (1)
- 780 million people, 2 times the number of the population of the United States, lack access to clean water. (2)
- 2.5 billion people lack access to a toilet or basic sanitation. (This means more people have cell phones than toilets.) (3)
- 3.4 million people die each year from water related diseases (4)
Now Bill & Melinda Gate’s Foundation has launched their own campaign titled “Reinvent the Toilet Challenge” The foundation has challenged the brightest minds of CalTech to design the toilet of the future. What are your thoughts about the project and video?
(1) Toilet Today: http://toiletday.org/post/what-invention-has-saved-most-lives/
(2) 2012 Update WHO/UNICEF: http://www.unicef.org/media/files/JMPreport2012.pdf
(3) World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/quantifying_ehimpacts/publications/wshdeaths2004.pdf
(4) International Telecommunication Union: http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/facts/2011/material/ICTFactsFigures2011.pdf