There is a dangerous misconception in America that the drinking water is always safe, and it is impossible to contract a waterborne illness in the States. This is not always true. Recent flooding in Illinois and Missouri caused health professionals to warn about the presence of Giardia in the drinking water, and a boil alert was issued in late January in Lake Hawea after E. Coli was detected. The drinking water in America is not always safe, and dangerous levels of harmful bacteria and viruses in drinking water cannot always been seen. So what is one way you can protect yourself and your family?
Ultraviolet Light eliminate 99.99% of all dangerous contaminants (like E. Coli and Giardia) that some filters cannot remove, and it is low-cost and environmentally-friendly.
UV treatment does not alter water chemically, and nothing is being added except energy. The sterilized microorganisms are not removed from the water, but they are rendered completely harmless.
UV Light Is Effective
UV disinfection is the only chemical-free, environmentally-friendly way of effectively inactivating 99.99% of microorganisms found in drinking water. Disinfection through a UV system is immediate, with no chlorination by-products created.
UV Light Is Simple
If you purchase a UV system, you only need to replace the lamp once a year and ensure that the quartz sleeve is kept clean. Installation is simple with two water connections and one electrical connection.
Watch this video provided by Fresh Water Systems for more information on why UV is right for you.
UV Light Will Make Boil Advisories A Worry Of The Past
Municipal water is disinfected at the water treatment plant but what happens the water gets contaminated while traveling to your home? Municipal infrastructure is aging, and water main breaks and leaks are becoming more common. If water can get out of those pipes, contaminants can get in.
Whether you don’t trust your town or city’s infrastructure, you have your own private source of well water, or your town or city issues a boil advisory, having a UV system installed in your home will protect you and your family from harmful bacteria in your drinking water.
UV Light Is Safer Than Chemicals
Chlorine to clean your drinking water? That just doesn’t seem safe or healthy. Chlorine has been widely used for public water treatment in the USA since the early 1900’s, which speaks to the fundamental need for disinfection to protect health. But in recent years, Americans have become increasingly concerned about residual chlorine finding its way into their drinking water, and more and more consumers are seeking chemical-free solutions like UV Light. It is just as effective as chlorine in removing (or rendering useless) harmful contaminates, and it does not use harsh chemicals.
Is rainwater safe to drink? Using ultraviolet, UV light, can be used to design your very own rain water harvesting system that disinfection drinking water for your home or business.
The gathering of rain water for human needs is as old as civilization itself. With the current trend towards sustainability, you may be interested in the ways that rain water might be “harvested” as an alternative to relying solely on municipal resources. For the homeowner, rainwater harvesting can range from simply collecting water in a barrel for taking care of plants to a full-fledged independent water supply for washing and even drinking. But is water from the heavens safe to drink?
In general terms, rainwater is distilled by nature in the evaporation cycle and so it comes down free of most contaminants and additives like chlorine. But as it travels through the air and comes in contact with surfaces such as roof tops and gutters it will pick debris and biological contaminants. In most cases these are minimal and can easily be managed. For example, you can use a first-flush diverter that catches debris from the roof in a trap before the clearer water flows into your barrel.
That’s all well and good for garden-use or washing cars, but protecting your family from harmful microorganisms requires proper disinfection of the rainwater. Long-used by well-water owners, an ultraviolet (UV) water disinfection system is a chemical-free way to ensure that your water is safe from biological contaminants.
The water is disinfected by light of a specific wavelength as it passes through a stainless steel chamber. Nothing is added to the water, but any microorganisms present will be rendered harmless. Rainwater is naturally soft and so will not require a softener, although some “polishing,” or added filtering, may be desirable for taste and ultimate particle removal. In fact, the newer, high-quality UV systems often come equipped with both a sediment and carbon filter for just that purpose, which makes installation all the easier.
Maintenance is also easy – just an annual lamp change. It is very important to note that UV lamps do not “burn out” before they lose disinfecting properties, so changing them on schedule is critical to maintain water safety.
Most summers there comes a time where many parts of the country are in desperate need of rain fall. About this time we generally get a report showing areas of the United States that experiencing drought conditions. Although rain fills our lakes, river and streams, and gives plants much needed water we fail to notice the beauty of falling rain. Let do a bit of an educational review of what exactly is rain.
Rain is defined as liquid precipitation, as opposed to non-liquid kinds of precipitation. From the Earths atmosphere, it is the condensation water vapor into drops of water heavy enough to fall, often making it to the surface. There are two natural processes, that acting together, can lead to air becoming saturated leading to rain to fall: The first is the cooling the air or adding water vapor to the air allowing to become saturated with water. The other process called Virga is precipitation that begins falling to the earth but evaporates before reaching the surface. We often can see Virga from weather Doppler radars when it looks like it is rain in a area but it is not reaching the surface because atmospheric conditions are not saturated enough. Precipitation forms via collision with other rain drops or ice crystals within a cloud. Rain drops range in size from oblate, pancake-like shapes for larger drops, to small spheres for smaller drops.
Ever wonder what water looks like when it hits the surface, or another body of water? Below is a video of just what happens.
Rainwater Catchment for Drinking Water:
A proposed law would require new homes, larger developments and some redevelopments in Los Angeles to capture and reuse runoff generated in rainstorms. An ordinance approved in January 2010 by the Department of Public Works would require such projects to capture reuse or infiltrate 100 percent of runoff generated by anything greater than .75 inches of rain. The new requirement would prevent 104 million gallons of polluted runoff from ending up in the ocean. The ordinance moves to the Energy and Environment and Planning and Land Use management committees of city council before going to the mayor’s office.
This is not only a solution that would be good for local governments that are rain deprived areas of the country but also could offer home owners a way of providing water for their household. Home owners are starting to see the benefits of such a solution of a rain water catchment system. Rainwater catchment system works by collecting rain water into an atmospheric hold tank, then water is pumped out, then leading to carbon and sediment pre-filters and then passed through a UV water purification system. UV water purification systems then kill all major bacteria and viruses.
Spring is here and bountiful gardens, flowers, and vegetables are in full bloom. There are many factors that affect plant growth such as light, temperature, and soil, but arguably, one of the most important is water. Many water supplies contain chlorine. Chlorine is one of the most widely used drinking water disinfectants. While eliminating contaminates in our drinking water, the chlorine can also have adverse effects on the growth and development of many plants and gardens. The Rainshowr Gard'n Gro, Dechlorinator garden water filter system for your garden hose is a proven winner in building healthy gardens. Keeping the chlorine out of the garden promotes healthy plant nutrition and growth, by returning the natural balance to your soil, compost or mulch, and by protecting its beneficial bacteria.
Other Uses for Rainshowe’r Garden Gro A dechlorinating garden water filter system can be used for more than just your garden and plants. Here are some more uses for the Rainshowe’r garden water filter system.
Many Automobile enthusiasts spend a lot of time washing and waxing there cars for that perfect shine. Chlorine from your water supply can dull the richness of your car waxing. If you really want to bring out the shine and protect your car's paint job this garden hose filter system is just what you need
Many people especially during the warmer months will bathe pets outside. The Gard'n Gro is a healthy alternative for bathing your pets, whose coats can become brittle and their skin dry and flaky when exposed to chlorine.
If there is one thing that fish do not like it is chlorine. Some luck people have an outdoor water pond/ fountain that has fish. With the Garden Gro system you can safely fill your fish pond with out worrying about the potential harmful effects of chlorinated water.